The line to Glencorse closed in 1959 following many years of declining passenger and freight traffic – and the track was lifted between Roslin and Penicuik.
In 1987, following many years of deterioration, urgent action was required and following an Inspection the AGM held on the 24th January Members were asked to discuss whether to repair (at a cost of up to £250,000) or demolish. The vote was for demolition.
On the 1st May 1987, at 7pm – just over 30 years ago, the detonator was pressed and 200 lbs of gelignite brought the 120 year old Viaduct crashing down.
The course changed as a result – rubble had to be landscaped particularly around the 9th – and no longer could a shot to the 9th green be measured in “arches”.
And today – apart from the 3rd hole being named Viaduct – it’s quite hard to tell that a major landmark in Midlothian’s history had ever existed?
More information about the Railway and the Viaduct is available from Golf at Milton Bridge – a short history of Glencorse Golf Club – by Club Member Bill Taylor – published in 1998. It’s available in Dalkeith, Penicuik and Roslin Library – as well as a copy in the Club.